Wednesday 8 October 2014

The Murky World of Barry Adamson

Next stop on the musical roundabout is Manchester. Away from London this place is magical for music, I adore the passage beyond words, although I will try expressing something about them in due course. Then I fell for the Buzzcocks and Magazine too, Joy Division, New Order and The Smiths. I cannot imagine what life would have been without these bands. 

Amongst the wonderful artists the most intriguing over the whole of my life has been Barry Adamson. Superb bassist with Magazine initially, his career has twisted through The Gun Club, Iggy Pop, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, and film scores and the Magazine re-union and his jazz influenced albums. I’ve been lucky enough to see him live several times now and the whole family witnessed a superb gig at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in February snow, 2012. 

Presence the man has in abundance, and more than his fair share of rhythm naturally, and a wonderful sense of humour - introducing his shakers as his bald friends Dave and Howard! Mrs Hora and I went to see him at the Pigalle Club, Piccadilly and decided to eat first. As we were being shown to our table Barry had clearly just finished his soundcheck and we said hello. He said something along the lines of ‘good timing, wouldn’t want my voice spoiling your meal’, as if!

I’ve only recently noticed that he’s currently touring with Nick Cave again. Should have tried to get a ticket for the Albert Hall next year, mmm, might try, will be impressive I’m sure.

He had Billy MacKenzie sing on a song too. It’s a brilliant piece, ‘Achieved in the Valley of the Dolls’ on the ‘Oedipus Schmoedipus’ album which also featured Nick Cave on the lushous ‘Sweetest Embrace’ and Jarvis Cocker in a rare moment of his that I like, ‘Set the Controls for the Heart of the Pelvis’, great title.

My favourite albums (in order): Stranger on the Sofa; Oedipus Schmoedipus; The Murky World of;

Favourite songs (not in order!): Every single song on the ‘Stranger’ album, some amazing weirdness, it’s a belter!!; Still I Rise; Straight ’til Sunrise; Deja Voodoo; The Snowball Effect; 007 A Fantasy Bond Theme; What It Means; The Big Bamboozle; The Trigger City Blues; The Man With The Golden Arm; The Vibes Ain’t Nothin’ But The Vibes; Walk The Last Mile


Best lines: ‘and so they will find me, and in the middle of a cold afternoon, they will ask, ‘what is it exactly that you know?’ and then, they will take me outside, and they will kill me, that much I do know.’

No comments:

Post a Comment